Don't See Your Sport?
Your Amsterdam adventure
Full Name: Amsterdammer
Nickname: Mokum, also ‘Venice of the North’
Originally a fishing village, Amsterdam is the capital city of the Netherlands and is now considered to be the financial and cultural center of the country. This beautiful city is where young and modern collides with old and historic from the canals to the cobblestones. If you pay attention and truly immerse yourself you will quickly discover an Amsterdam that is so much more than tulips, red lights and reefer. Despite what is known as ‘cultural tolerance’, the capital city will dare to surprise you around every turn. And whatever you do, do not forget your bike!
Did you Know?
- There are over 400KM of bike paths in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam is the most culturally diverse city in the world with over 178 different nationalities
- The Red Light District is one of the safest parts of the entire city
- ‘De Poezenboot’ is a houseboat turned cat shelter, housing over 50 cats
- Houses in Amsterdam are narrow because they were taxed on the width of their front
- English is the cities 2nd official language
Lay of the Land
5 Reasons to Love Amsterdam